Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Personal Licences

A personal licence allows the holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol from premises with a premises licence or temporary events notice.

Who qualifies for a personal licence?

To qualify for a personal licence you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Not have forfeited a personal licence within 5 years
  • Not have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence
  • Possess an accredited licensing qualification.

From January 2018, if you need a basic disclosure check for a job in England and Wales, you should apply to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). If you need a basic disclosure check for a job in Scotland, then you should apply to Disclosure Scotland. If you want a check for personal reasons rather than work purposes, you should apply where you live – DBS if you live in England or Wales or Disclosure Scotland if you live in Scotland.

If you are applying to DBS you will be able to use our new online application route that will be available on GOV.UK. Alternatively, you can use a ‘Responsible Organisation’ (RO) – a third party registered with DBS – to submit checks on your behalf. List of Responsible Organisations.

Do all the staff at my premises need to hold a personal licence?

No. The only person who must hold one is the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) - see Premises Licences for further information. However, all supply of alcohol under a premises licence must be authorised by a person who holds a personal licence.

How long do personal licences last and what will they cost?

They will be valid indefinitely, and the cost is £37.

What do I need to do to obtain a personal licence?

You need to pass a recognised licensing qualification and you must provide a Disclosure and Barring Service Check.  It is up to the applicant to arrange a Basic DBS check via DBS service

For a new personal licences you will need to supply the following:

  • Two photographs endorsed as a true likeness by a professional person
  • Your licensing qualification (more information can be found at the BIIAB website or EDI website)
  • Your 'basic' level DBS check certificate 
  • A completed application form, which includes details of any relevant or foreign offence
  • The prescribed fee which is £37.

Personal licence forms

For new personal licences or changes to your licence:

Personal licence to sell alcohol

Change of name/address of licence holder

Renewal of Personal Licences

As from 6 April 2015 the Government have passed legislation that there is no longer a requirement to renewal personal licences.

Holder are reminded that there is still a requirement to notify the authority of any change of address.

Who can object to the grant of a personal licence?

Only the Police can object if you have been convicted of a relevant or foreign offence, and they believe that by granting you a personal licence, it would undermine the crime and disorder licensing objective.

Will I need to get a new licence if my circumstances change?

No, but you will need to notify the licensing authority if you change your name or address, or if you are convicted of a relevant or foreign offence.

Can I have my licence taken away?

Yes, it could be suspended or revoked if you are convicted of a relevant offence.

What is a relevant or foreign offence?

The offences that are listed in schedule four to the The Licensing Act are all relevant offences. A 'foreign offence' is an offence (other than a relevant offence) under the law of any place outside England and Wales.

Register of personal licence applications

View all liquor licensing applications online via the our public licence register. 



Contact us

Do it online

Documents to download

Useful links