Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Sex Establishment

Application to apply for a sex shop or cinema licence.

Rushcliffe does not have any licensed sex establishments but if you require more information please contact us. You can also apply using the Council's online licensing system.

To run a sex shop or sex cinema you may need a licence from the local authority. The current application fee is £4,356 and £4,356 on renewal.

The fee to vary or transfer the licence is £1,433.

Am I eligible? 

An applicant must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • Not disqualified from holding a licence
  • Not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

Regulation summary 

Read more on the sex establishment legislation.

How will my application be evaluated?

Applications for a licence are made to the local authority together with the appropriate fee which is non refundable. The application must be advertised at the premises for which the application is made and in a local newspaper.

Apply online 

What happens next?

Once your application form has been received and the period of advertisement has ceased you will be contacted by the authority.

What if my application is refused?

Please contact the licensing service in the first instance.

If objections are received against the granting of a licence a hearing may be held before the Licensing Committee. If the licence is refused in any case an appeal against the grant can be made to the local Magistrates Court.

However the right of appeal does not apply where the licence was refused on the following grounds:

  • The number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number the authority consider appropriate
  • The granting of the licence would be inappropriate considering the character of the area, the nature of the premises in the area or the premises themselves.

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (the Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct. If you are outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


There are no public registers for this licence.



Contact us

Do it online

Useful links