Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Who Can Claim Housing Benefit

How to claim Housing Benefit

You can claim housing benefit if you claim some other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, or Guaranteed Pension Credit.

You can also claim housing benefit if you are working, or you are on a low income such as a private pension.

You can claim housing benefit if you pay rent to:

  • a private sector landlord
  • a Housing Association

If you are a boarder or sub-tenant or you live in a hostel or House in Multiple Occupation, you can claim housing benefit.

If you live in a shared ownership property, you can claim housing benefit on the rental side of your shared ownership agreement.

If you are not sure if you earn too much to qualify, you can use our online benefits calculator to get an estimate of how much housing benefit you may be entitled to.

Who can’t claim Housing Benefit

If you get Universal Credit and your housing costs (help with your rent) are included in that claim.

If you own your own home, you can't claim housing benefit as that is only for help with your rent. However, you can claim Council Tax Reduction for help with your council tax.

Most students and some people from abroad are not eligible to claim housing benefit, but please contact us first, because each case is different.

You also can't get housing benefit if you have more than £16,000 in savings or capital (unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit).



Do it online

Documents to download

Useful links