Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Scrap Metal Dealers

HMRC is requiring changes for scrap metal sites and scrap metal collectors applications

What you'll need to do to meet new rules if you're applying as:

individual, company or any type of partnership applying for a licence for a:

  • scrap metal site
  • scrap metal collector

on or after 4 April 2022.

You will not be able to receive a licence if you do not meet these new rules.

Changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022 - GOV.UK ( 

Requirements for a licence to carry on a business as a scrap metal dealer:

  • No person may carry on a business as a scrap metal dealer unless authorised by a licence under this Act
  • A person carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer if the person (a) carries on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is old in the form in which it was bought or (b) carries on a business as a motor salvage operator.

A licensed site means any premises used in the course of carrying on a business as a scrap metal dealer (whether or not metal is kept there).

A Mobile Collector means a person who (a) carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer otherwise than at a site and (b) regularly engages in the course of that business, in collecting waste materials and old, broken, worn out or defaced articles by means of visits from door to door.

Am I eligible? 

The applicant must provide full details of themselves and their business. The dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer.

Regulation Summary 

Please see the Scrap Metal Dealers Act

How will my application be evaluated?

The application will be subject to consultation with the Police and assessments made as to the suitability of the applicant.

Apply online 

What happens next?

Once your application form has been received the authority the Police will be informed of the application and you will contacted.

What if my application is refused?

If the Authority refuse the application you have the right to an oral hearing before the Licensing Committee. If the application is refused by the Committee you can appeal to the Magistrates Court

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (The Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct. If you are outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre


Simple Search ( use search term *SCRAP*

Scrap Metal Act 2013

The Scrap Metal Act 2013 came into force on 1 October 2013 and has a number of effects on those who operate as a Scrap Metal Dealer, Scrap Metal Collector or as a Motor Salvage Operator. All three are now combined into two new types of licence.

Applicants can apply for either a site licence or a mobile collectors licence.

Every person (or business) that collects scrap metal is required to hold a licence from each local authority area they work in. This means a collector could hold multiple licences issued by different councils.

Motor Salvage is now dealt with as a Scrap Metal site licence and not as previously licensed.

The new fees can be found in the fees and charges section.

These licences are valid for a three year period.



Contact us