Skip to additional navigation Skip to content


If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from Rushcliffe Borough Council. You must comply with any conditions attached to an authorisation.

Am I eligible? 

An application for consent shall be in writing and signed by the licence holder or his agent and shall be made not less than 28 days in advance of the exhibition, demonstration or performance concerned. A copy of the application shall at the same time be forwarded to the chief officer of police and the fire authority.

The application shall contain the following particulars:

  • The name and address of the person by whom the exhibition, demonstration or performance is to be given (hereinafter referred to as "the hypnotist"); together with details of their last three performances (when and where)
  • A description of the proposed exhibition, demonstration or performance
  • A statement as to whether, and if so giving full details thereof, the hypnotist has been previously refused, or had withdrawn, a consent by any licensing authority or been convicted of an offence under the Hypnotism Act 1952 or of an offence involving the breach of a condition, regulating or prohibiting the giving of an exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism on any person at a place licensed for public entertainment.

Regulation Summary 

Please view the Hypnotism Act. See also the conditions that will be attached to any authorisation.

How will my application be evaluated?

No provision in legislation, this is a registration process only.

Apply online  

What happens next?

Once your application form has been received the authority we will process it and complete the registration process. Conditions may be attached to your registration and byelaws are in place governing the treatments.

What if my application is refused?

Please contact us in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence may appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (The Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct or if outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


There are no public registers for this licence.



Contact us