Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Dangerous Wild Animals

To apply for a licence to keep a dangerous wild animal you will need to complete the application form and pay the appropriate fee every two years. In addition, any veterinary fees will also be levied.
You should contact The Council in the first instance to find out if the animal(s) you intend to keep fall within the definition of a dangerous wild act.

Am I eligible? 

The applicant must be over the age of 18 years, and the application form will be submitted with the appropriate fee.

Regulation summary 

To find out more, please read the dangerous wild animal regulations.       

How will my application be evaluated?

A local authority shall not grant a licence unless the application states:

  • The species of animal and number to be kept
  • The premises where the animal will normally be held
  • The grant is contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety, nuisance or otherwise
  • Where the animals are kept in accordance with the licence in accommodation which secures it and which is suitable as regards construction size temperature lighting ventilation drainage and cleanliness
  • That the animals are supplied with adequate and suitable food drink and bedding. 
  • How appropriate steps will at all times be taken for fire safety or other emergencies
  • Reasonable steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases
  • The animal's accommodation is such that it can take adequate exercise.

Apply online 

This application is not available online at this time.

What happens next?

Once your application form has been received, The Council will instruct a vet and an officer of The Council to inspect the premises and animals concerned. If the licence is granted, conditions may be attached to it. Read more about the Dangerous wild animal conditions.

What if my application is refused?

Please contact the licensing service in the first instance. An appeal is made to the local Magistrates Court

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (The Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


View the public register for this licence.


Contact us