Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Other Reductions

Disabled relief

For disabled relief the property must:

  • be the only, or the main, residence of a qualifying person
  • meet the need of their disability

‘Qualifying person’ - means someone who is substantially and permanently disabled.

‘Required to meet the needs’ - means anything essential or very important for the qualifying person’s wellbeing because of their disability.

Within the property, there must be either:

  • a room (not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which meets the needs of a qualifying person who lives at the property and is used predominantly by them
  • an extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is required to meet the needs of a qualifying person who lives at the property
  • enough floor space to use a wheelchair, if one is required to meet the needs of a qualifying person who lives at the property

Where there is a specific room to meet the person’s needs (not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet), this room’s main purpose must be directly related to the person’s disability. Examples may include a room which:

  • contains equipment such as a dialysis machine or braille equipment
  • is used for therapy relating to their disability

A ground floor bedroom is unlikely to qualify if it functions only as a bedroom.

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to help from the Council towards paying your council tax. Use our online calculator to see if you could qualify.

Second Adult Rebate

You can claim a reduction of up to 25% if you share your home with one or more adults who are:

  • over 18 and not paying you rent
  • not your spouse or partner
  • not responsible for paying the Council Tax
  • receive certain benefits, such as Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support, or are on a low income

Your own income and savings are not taken into account.

You can download a second adult rebate application form here.

Occupied annexe discount

In certain circumstances, an occupied annexe may be exempt – read about occupied annexe criteria.

You may get a 50% discount if you are:

  • living in part of a single property which includes at least one other property
  • a relative of the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax on the main property
  • this is your main or only home

Care Leavers Reduction

You could be eligible for a reduction if you are under 25 and:

  • have a Council Tax bill in your name
  • have been in care with any local authority on or after your 16th birthday
  • have been in care for at least 13 weeks since your 14th birthday

When you apply, please provide a letter from the council department involved in providing the care.

Discretionary relief

If you are experiencing exceptional hardship and it wasn't your fault, you could qualify for help to reduce your Council Tax bill.

To qualify for discretionary relief, you must show that:

  • the amount of money you have coming in is a lot less than your outgoings and you have no savings
  • you have applied for all other help such as benefits and reductions

When you apply, please provide proof of the financial hardship you are experiencing.

Council Tax: Domestic Properties which are in disrepair or are derelict

The Council does not provide a reduction because a property is in disrepair or derelict even if uninhabitable.  If you believe that due to the condition of a  domestic property it should no longer be banded then you should contact the Valuation Office Agency, who are responsible for the banding all domestic properties.  Their contact information can be found using the link below:

Contact VOA

Further information provided by the Valuation Office Agency regarding domestic properties which are in disrepair or are derelict can be found using the link below:

VOA Information



Useful links