Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

If Someone Has Died

Advice for relatives or the person dealing with the estate

We appreciate that when someone dies, there’s a lot to be done. Tell us as soon as you can so we can make sure that the correct bills are issued.

A property is exempt from council tax if it is now unoccupied and was previously occupied by a person who has died. This is providing that the property is still the responsibility of the deceased person's estate (please note that if the property is rented the exemption will only last until the tenancy ceases). There will be no council tax payable in respect of the property whilst you are waiting for probate to be granted. You may also be eligible for an exemption lasting up to six months after probate has been granted.

If you are handling the affairs of someone who has passed away, please contact us. The information we need is:

  • The name and address of the deceased
  • The date of death
  • The name and address of the executor(s) of the person's estate
  • If probate has been granted for the deceased person's estate, the probate certificate and a copy of the will
  • Whether anyone remains resident in the property
  • If the property was owned or rented by the deceased person

If the property was not owned by the deceased or was rented

  • The name and address of the owner of the property, and whether it was let on a furnished or unfurnished basis
  • The date the deceased person's tenancy for the property will cease

Based on the above information we will be able to determine the correct charge that is due for the property. Remember you must let us know when probate is granted or if probate is not applicable.



Useful links