Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Who Can Claim

Who can claim Council Tax Reduction?

You can claim a council tax reduction if you claim state benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, or Guaranteed Pension Credit.

You can also claim if you are working, or you are on a low income such as a private pension.

You can only claim if you are liable to pay council tax. If you qualify, you will be given a reduction in your council tax bill. Unfortunately you will not be able to make a claim online if you:

  • are a full-time student
  • want to claim second adult rebate only.

If you aren’t liable to pay council tax, you can't claim a council tax reduction. However, you may be able to claim housing benefit for help with your rent.

If you are not sure if you earn too much to qualify, you can use our online benefits calculator to get an estimate of how much council tax reduction you may receive.

Who can’t claim Council Tax Reduction?

Most students and some people from abroad are not eligible to claim a council tax reduction, but please contact us first, because each case is different.

You also can't get a council tax reduction if you have more than £16,000 in savings or capital (unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit).



Do it online

Documents to download

Useful links