Skip to additional navigation Skip to content

Cllr A J Brennan Privacy Notice

Rushcliffe Borough Council - Councillor Abby Brennan

Looking after your Personal Information

This privacy notice details the manner in which I may handle personal information about you in my role as your local Councillor. I also handle personal data about people as part of my responsibilities at the Council, for example when I take part in committee meetings. The Council has published a Privacy Statement on its website.

Types of personal data I may collect in my role as your local Councillor

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • Photographs
  • Any other details regarding your personal circumstances that you choose to provide to me to help
  • deal with your query (including details about another person who has asked you to act on their behalf)

The purposes for which the information will be used

  • To provide advice, if you request it
  • To investigate any issues or concerns you may raise with me
  • To find out about your involvement with any other public authorities, if you ask me to
  • To prevent or detect fraud or other crime

What will happen if you do not provide the personal data requested

I may not be able to assist you fully with your query, or to contact you with a reply.

Organisations and individuals I may share this information with or obtain personal data from

  • Rushcliffe Borough Council
  • Organisations providing services on behalf of Rushcliffe Borough Council
  • Organisations that work in partnership with Rushcliffe Borough Council
  • Other public authorities, for example if your query relates to a service provided by Nottinghamshire County Council rather than Rushcliffe Borough Council
  • Your MP or other relevant elected representatives where you have also asked them to assist you
  • No information I hold about you in relation to my role as a Councillor is used for party political purposes.


The legal basis under which I may use this information

  • I need to process your information so that I can carry out my responsibilities as a Councillor. Data protection law describes this legal basis as, necessary for performance of a public task, or, in the public interest.
  • I may need to process special categories of personal information in order to assist you, for example information about your health and social care needs. Where this is necessary, data protection law describes this legal basis as, substantial public interest.
  • I do not normally need your consent to collect or process your personal information. This is because I need the information in order to help with your case.
  • I may need to request your consent in order to obtain information about you from organisations.

How I store and transfer the data

  • I will store the data in computer and/or manual record systems. I use computer systems provided by Rushcliffe Borough Council that are encrypted and secure. Any paper information is stored in a lockable cabinet and will be shredded when no longer needed.
  • I may transfer your data either by email using my Rushcliffe Borough Council email account, by phone (for example when I call an officer at the Council to ask about your case) and by letter. Where a letter includes sensitive information, such as information about your health and social care needs I may hand-deliver it or send it by recorded delivery.

Transferring personal data overseas

Data may be transferred overseas where the Council’s computer systems arrange for overseas storage. The Council’s Privacy Statement includes information about the safeguards that are in place.

How long personal data is held

  • I will process your personal data for as long as it takes for me to investigate your case and to provide you with a response, your records will be deleted within six months of resolving your case.
  • If I am no longer your local Councillor, for example if I am not re-elected, your records will be deleted within six months after I cease to be a councillor.

Your rights

You have rights over the use of your personal data. Your rights include:

  • the right to access a copy of your personal data
  • the right to ask for your personal data to be corrected or deleted,
  • the right to object to use of your personal data
  • The right to complain if I refuse a request that you make to exercise your rights and you are not happy with my decision/reasons
  • The right to withdraw consent


Contact details of the Information Commissioner’s Office:

If you are unhappy with how your data has been handled, by me or you feel your data protection rights have been breached you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office at

Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number

More information

This notice was last updated on 27 June 2023