Rushcliffe - The Government has announced a range of measures to assist with the rising cost of living.

Skip Navigation

Cost of Living

Cost of living advice

The Government has announced a range of measures to assist with the rising cost of living and more information is available on the GOV.UK help for households webpage.

Additional information has been provided with the help with the cost of living.

There are also several options available that might be of some assistance to residents:

Maximising your income / benefits

Universal Credit (UC) ‐ the Department of Work and Pensions want to encourage people who could be better off financially to consider moving to UC. They estimate that more than half of current claimants will be better off. For further information go to:

Universal Credit: What Universal Credit is - GOV.UK (

Pension Credit - this is one of the most under-claimed benefits by those of pension-age. If you are entitled to Pension Credit this can lead to additional help with Council Tax and free TV licences for over 75's. To check if you, or a family member might be entitled to Pension Credit, please go to:

Pension Credit calculator - GOV.UK (

Rising food and energy bills

Energy bills - those yet to receive £400 support

The Government has recently announced two further schemes to provide support to households that have not received the £400 off their energy bills. 

Phase 1: Energy Bills Support Scheme Alternative Funding (EBSS Alternative Funding) 

This is currently in draft phase and the following is subject to change once final guidance is released. 

Currently a timetable has been issued for this scheme advising that applications will be made via the website and after initial checks will be passed on to local authorities to make payments. The Government intends to create a dedicated call centre to deal with queries concerning this grant, along with providing assistance to people that will struggle applying online. 

The application process opening date will be publicised on this page as soon as possible when Central Government make further announcements.

The main eligibility criteria for this funding are: 

  • Resident responsible for paying for energy used in the dwelling, and they occupy the dwelling as their sole or main residence 
  • The dwelling has not already benefitted from support payments (ie the energy bills for the property are not being credited with the £400 support payment) 
  • The property is not a business premises 

Based on the initial scoping of the scheme the following groups should be covered:  

  • Care home residents (provided they in some way pay towards their care); 
  • Park home residents; 
  • Households in caravans and houseboats on fixed/registered sites; 
  • Social and private tenants who get their energy through a commercial supplier (eg a landlord); 
  • Heat network customers not already covered by main EBSS (private wire/CHP); 
  • Farmers in domestic farmhouses, as well as others in domestic residences with a commercial supply; 
  • Homes off the grid. 

Application process 

  • Apply online through the Government’s portal 
  • Initial verification will take place on the application, including verifying bank account details 
  • Details will be passed through to the local authority 
  • Local authority to verify residency, pay grant to nominated bank account and write to applicant to confirm the decision. 

Note as the above is still at draft stage it is subject to change.  

Phase 2: £200 payment for Great Britain households that use alternative fuels like heating oil 

The Government also announced in December 2022 a scheme to provide payments to households that use alternative fuels.

We have received no further details concerning this scheme at the moment but assume it will be launched once phase 1 is operational. 

Household Support Fund

Extra support to help with rising bills is now being offered to Rushcliffe residents, led by Nottinghamshire County Council.

Thanks to the Government’s Household Support Fund (HSF) Nottinghamshire County Council, Rushcliffe and other Borough and District partners will continue to share vital money worth £5.6 million to those in immediate need of help, because of the rising costs of food and energy between October 22 and March 2023.

Find out more about the Household Support Fund.

Housing Benefit / Council Tax Support if you are pension-age and live in rented accommodation and are on a low income you may be able to claim help with your rent. If you pay Council Tax and are on a low income you may be able to claim Council Tax Support. To check potential entitlement and to make a claim go to:

Benefit Calculator and Claim (

General benefit advice

For all general benefits advice go to:

Browse: Benefits - GOV.UK (

Free and impartial help with money, backed by the government | MoneyHelper

Benefits advice and information | Nottinghamshire County Council

Benefit calculators - there are also various benefit calculators available which provide independent advice regarding benefits you may be entitled to:

Benefits Calculator - entitledto - independent | accurate | reliable

Fighting UK Poverty - Turn2us

Benefit and budgeting calculator | Policy In Practice (

Benefits calculator and benefits advice - What benefits am I entitled to? | Age UK

Benefit calculators: what benefits can you get - Citizens Advice

Managing your money / expenditure

If you need help to manage your money and general budgeting advice, there is a useful tool available on the Citizens Advice website:

Work out your budget - Citizens Advice

If you are experiencing difficulties with your household energy costs in the first instance, please discuss this with your provider.

The Citizens Advice website also contains some useful information regarding grants and benefits available to help pay energy bills, see:

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills - Citizens Advice

If you are having difficulties with your water payments Severn Trent's Big Difference scheme is available for those on a low income, see:

Big Difference Scheme | Help with paying your bill | Help when you need it | My Account | Severn Trent Water (

Housing help

If you are in private rented or Housing Association accommodation and your rent is not covered in full by Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit  the council has limited funding to support some shortfalls via our Discretionary Housing Payment scheme, please see:

Discretionary housing payment - Rushcliffe Borough Council

If you require more specialised housing advice, our Housing team have a number of options available, see:

Housing advice and homelessness - Rushcliffe Borough Council

If you are tenant of Metropolitan Thames Valley Housing there is help available with maximising your income, reducing expenses, getting grants, and accessing specialist support, see:

Money advice - Metropolitan Thames Valley (

If you are a tenant of Platform Housing, they have a Wellbeing Fund available to provide support for their tenants:

Platform Wellbeing Fund | Platform Housing Group (

Council services - County Council

 Nottinghamshire County Council have a range of support in line with their services.

Citizens Advice Bureau also have a range of support available:

Universal Credit (UC)

Contact the national Help To Claim line 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday on 0800 144 8 444

General Advice

Citizens Advice Adviceline on 0300 330 5457

Rushcliffe Advice network:

TEL: 0115 982 7252 MOB: 07795 695574
Bingham Advice Centre:
Bingham Town Council
The Old Court House
Church Street
Telephone: 07549 184832
Opening Hours: Every Wednesday 9:30am- 12:30pm
Drop in for advice

Cotgrave Advice centre:
All Saint’s Church
Plumtree Road
NG12 3HT
TEL: 0115 989 3294

Opening hours: Mondays 5-7pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays 9am – 12pm

West Bridgford Advice Centre:
St. Giles Church Hall
Stratford Road
West Bridgford
TEL: 0115 982 1475 (Wednesdays only)

Opening Hours: Wednesdays 9:30am - 12:30pm

Radcliffe on Trent Advice Centre:
St Mary’s Hall
Main Road
Radcliffe on Trent
NG12 2FD
TEL: 07549184832

Opening times: Thursdays 9:30 – 12:30pm

Keyworth Advice centre:
Feignies Room
Keyworth Village Hall
Elm Avenue
NG12 5AN
TEL: 07584 843086

Opening Times: Tuesdays 1:00pm - 4:00pm

Debt Advice

Contact the Citizens Advice Debt team on 0115 945 3989.

If you need specialised advice on debt issues, something useful sites include:

StepChange Debt Charity - Free Expert Debt Advice

Home - Shelter England

The Money and Pensions Service | Building financial wellbeing

Debt and money - Citizens Advice

Warm hubs

West Bridgford Methodist Church, NG2 7PQ Wednesdays 10am to 12pm and Saturdays 9.30am to 12pm

St Giles’ Church West Bridgford, NG2 6AY Wednesdays 12.30pm to 2.30pm

Renew café, Ruddington Baptist Church, NG11 6HW, Wednesdays 2.30pm-4pm

West Bridgford Baptist Church, NG2 7NF, Thursdays 10am-11.30am

Parochial Church Hall, Keyworth, NG12 5AN, Fridays 11am-4.30pm

Our Lady of the Angels church, East Leake, LE12 6PF, Wednesdays 10.20am-12.20am

East Leake Baptist Church, LE12 6LY, Thursdays 10am-12pm

St Mary’s Church, East Leake, LE12 6LN, Fridays 10am-12pm

East Leake Methodist Church, LE12 6PG, Saturdays 10am-12pm

St Giles Church, Cropwell Bishop, NG12 3BU Wednesdays 9am-11.30am

Methodist Church, Needham Street, Bingham, Thursdays 9.30am-1.30pm and Sundays 12.30pm-2.30pm

St Mary's Church, Bingham, open every day until 3pm.

Chestnut Avenue Centre, Bingham, Mondays Bingo 2pm – 4pm, Wednesdays Coffee Morning 9.30am–11.30am, Fridays Whist 1.15pm–4pm and Saturdays Coffee Morning 10am–midday.

WI Hut, 7 Station Street, Bingham, Thursdays: 8am-11.30am.

Food Banks and other food outlets

Sewa Day Foodbank - call 07851 422396. 

Free or reduced cost furniture and white goods

The Arches:

Website: The Arches Nottingham

The Arches is a charity that provides free furniture for those in need. The customer must be referred by a professional (GP, Social worker, Housing officer etc) and they do not deliver so the customer must be able to transport whatever furniture they receive.

Rushcliffe housing team can only refer customers that we have assisted into housing. Any other customers would need to approach another professional that may be assisting them such as their GP or a social worker.

The Furniture project:

Website: The Furniture Project
Phone: 01623 836410

The Furniture project is an organisation that provides reduced price furniture to those in need. There is a cost for the items but they can deliver and the customer can contact them directly without being referred by a professional.