There are over 400 licensed taxis (including hackney carriages and private hire vehicles) currently operating in Rushcliffe.
Personal safety advice
Hackney carriage taxi rank
When you need a taxi you could use our new hackney carriage taxi rank in West Bridgford. Located outside the Co-op on Bridgford Road, opposite the library car park, the stand is for four hackney carriage vehicles and is available between the hours of 6pm and 7.30 am.
Private hire licensed operators
Alternatively, plan ahead and book a private hire taxi from a licensed firm or carry their telephone number with you. Always make sure the taxi has licensed plates at the front and back and the driver has identification. The driver will confirm the name you booked the taxi under.
Using a licensed taxi by booking in advance or using the taxi rank means:
- The vehicle will have met specified standards
- The driver is a fit and proper person
- The vehicle is insured
- You can agree on a price at the start of the journey.
Taxi driver checks
Taxi drivers in Rushcliffe undergo a series of checks and tests to ensure they are a 'fit and proper' before they qualify for a licence:
- The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) use their disclosure service to search an individual's criminal record to establish whether or not they are a safe person to drive members of the public
- The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) check the individual's driving history
- A medical examination ensures the individual is physically able to carry out the work required of a licensed driver. This may involve lifting heavy objects such as luggage and possibly people's wheelchairs
- Individuals undergo a knowledge test designed to find out whether they are capable of driving in a safe manner to a number of locations throughout Rushcliffe
- Two character references are required, one from the current employer and one from a professionally qualified person
- Local authority checks examine individuals previously licensed with another local authority and ensures individuals have not had a drivers licence revoked or suspended.
Two types of taxis operate under licence within the Borough:
- Hackney carriages have an illuminated roof sign
- Hackney carriages have a meter set to The Council's correct tariff
- Hackney carriages display the table of fares inside
- Hackney carriages can be flagged down for fares.
Our taxi licensing team are working hard to ensure a high standard of hackney carriages. New applications for licensed hackney carriage vehicles are only accepted if the vehicle is a London style black cab or equivalent vehicle. If the vehicle is less than 7 years old, it will be tested annually and after that it will be tested twice a year.
Private hire vehicles
- Private hire vehicles should be booked in advance with a licensed taxi operator
- To qualify for a license, private hire vehicles will generally have to be 5 years old or less and meet strict specifications
- Private hire vehicles are tested each year.