You are here :

Street naming

Rushcliffe Borough Council is responsible for Street Naming and Numbering within Rushcliffe. We provide addresses to developers and individuals for new properties, conversions etc.

This function is carried out under the provisions of Sections 64 & 65 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847, Section 21 of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 and the Local Government Act 1972 and in accordance with British Standard BS7666.

Addresses of properties are very important. The general public, along with many organisations including Royal Mail and the emergency services, need accurate ways of locating and referencing properties. It is therefore important that you notify us of any new developments, including conversions, as soon as possible to ensure that the proper addresses can be allocated.

Who should apply for the new address and when?

Applications should be made by the developer or individual constructing the new properties. These can be residential, commercial or creating new properties by sub-dividing existing premises. The application should be made ideally when planning permission has been granted or, for smaller developments, when you make the building regulations application. 

I’m building a single property/small development – how do I number properties?

A single or small development will usually be numbered into the existing street using the next logical number. For infill properties this may mean using ABC along with the adjoining number eg 1A, 1B, 1C…

If the street is in a village or another location where the properties have only names, property names will be required.  Ideally these should be in consultation with any prospective buyers.  Names should not be similar to existing properties in the same locality.

Use the SNN1 form to give details of the development. A plan of the site at 1:1250 scale showing the new properties is also required.

We will obtain the relevant postcode from Royal Mail and inform you so that this information can be passed on to purchasers of the properties.

We will then inform the relevant council services, emergency services and other bodies of the new address via the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) portal.

Sub-Dividing property

If you are sub-dividing a property e.g. converting it into flats, the new properties must also be registered with the Council for the purposes of naming and numbering. When completing the SNN1 form please include the existing address and postcode of the property. A plan of the site at 1:1250 scale showing the layout of the new properties is required.

We will obtain the relevant postcode from Royal Mail and inform you of these so that this information can be passed on to purchasers of the properties.

We will then inform the relevant council services, emergency services and other organisations of the new address via the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) portal.

I’m building a large estate – how do I name new streets and number properties?

As a developer of a new estate we will ask for your suggestions for street names and will then consult with the Parish Council (Ward Members in the case of West Bridgford). We will also check for duplication or similar sounding names and may ask you for alternatives. A period of 21 days is allowed for consultation with Parish Councils. When we have reached agreement for the names we will then ask Royal Mail to assign postcodes and then register the street names and prepare the numbering schedule. A copy of this will be sent to you so that you can inform purchasers of their addresses and post codes. 

Please use the ‌SNN3 form and supply a full site plan showing all the intended properties. This may be sent electronically (with the plan in PDF format).

You will also be asked to supply the street nameplates to our standard design, details of this are available on request. 

Guidance for developers

See our Guide to street naming and numbering or contact us.

Can I name my house without contacting the council?

If your property is numbered e.g. ‘23 Any Street’, as the owner of the property you may add a name to the property number without contacting us as long as the name does not conflict with an existing property in the locality. The name will not be registered as part of the official address and the property number must still be displayed and used in any correspondence etc. This is enforceable under section 65 of the Towns Improvement Clauses Act 1847.

If your property has no number and is known by a name e.g. ‘White Gates’ then you must seek permission from us to change that name. Please use the SNN2 form and attach a plan at 1:1250 scale showing your property marked. We will confirm your new property name and inform the relevant bodies.

Postcodes and mail delivery enquiries

Postcodes are allocated by Royal Mail and queries relating to these and enquiries about problems with mail delivery should be made to them by telephoning 08457 740 740 or by visiting the Royal Mail website

Contact Us

Contact Us

Property Information
Rushcliffe Borough Council


Related Documents


Useful Websites