You are here :

Self Build and Custom Build Register

What is self-build and custom build?

Self-build housing usually means that you are directly involved in organising the design and construction of your new home. Custom build usually means working with a specialist developer to help you deliver your home. There may be some overlap between the two – for example some custom build developers offer the option of a serviced plot where you can design and build your own home as part of a larger scheme.

What is the purpose of the register?

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home. This register will provide an indication of the demand for self/custom build in Rushcliffe and allow the Council to develop its housing and planning policies to support the kinds of self and custom build projects that would be most appropriate.

Registering your interest in self and custom build

Gedling Borough Council hosts the Self Build and Custom Build Register on behalf of all the Councils making up Greater Nottingham.  The other Councils working alongside Rushcliffe Borough Council and Gedling Borough Council are Ashfield District Council, Broxtowe Borough Council, Erewash Borough Council, and Nottingham City Council.

The register allows you to choose which area you are interested in.

If you would like to register your interest in a self-build or custom build plot in Rushcliffe, please complete the registration form (which is hosted on Gedling Borough Council's website).

How we will use information from the register

By signing up, you will help us find out more about the demand for custom build plots in Rushcliffe, where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build.

We shall use the information to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and plots to be brought together. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the Council without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

If you require any further information, please contact the Planning Policy team via email at or telephone 0115 981 9911.