You are here :

Do I need permission?

Pre-application advice

Find out if your proposal requires planning permission by visiting the pre-application advice page.

Some developments which do not require planning permission may require approval under the building reulations.

What type of application is needed?

There are different types of applications for different developments. The forms and fees page will give more guidance on what form should be used for different developments. In most cases where householders apply for planning permission (e.g. extensions) the simplified householder form can be used.

Prior Approval


Single Storey Rear Extensions only

On 30 May 2013 new legislation came into force which introduced a Prior Notification scheme for single storey rear extensions to a domestic dwelling. Until 30 May 2019 householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development rights, ie. without applying for full planning permission.

The size limits will be doubled from a maximum of 4m deep from the rear of the original dwelling, to a maximum 8m for detached houses, and from a maximum of 3m to a maximum of 6m for all other houses (with some exceptions ie. dwellings in Conservation Areas) . All other limits in relation to householder permitted development remain in force, ie. height and positioning etc.

The homeowner wishing to build a rear extension 4m-8m deep for a detached house and 3m-6m deep for any other dwelling should complete the Householder Prior Notification Form. This form includes:

  • a written description of the proposal ;
  • the length that the extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house;
  • the height at the eaves of the extension;
  • the highest point of the extension;
  • a plan of the site, showing the proposed development;
  • the addresses of any adjoining properties;
  • a contact address for the homeowner/agent  and an e-mail address if the homeowner/agent is happy to receive correspondence by e-mail

There is no fee in connection with this process.

The local authority will serve a notice on adjoining owners or occupiers i.e. those who share a boundary.  These neighbours will be given not less than 21 days to respond and give any comments.

If no objections are received from adjoining neighbours then the Local Planning Authority will issue a notice saying that Prior Approval is not required and then development can go ahead.

If any adjoining neighbour raises an objection within the 21-day period, the local authority must assess the proposal and make a decision about whether the impact on the amenity of all adjoining properties is acceptable. Additional information may be asked for from the homeowner at this stage.

The Local Authority will then either issue a Prior Approval Notice and the development can go ahead or refuse to issue a Prior Approval.  The homeowner can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate in this instance.

If the local authority does not notify the developer of its decision within the 42-day determination period, the development may go ahead.

To benefit from these permitted development rights, the extension must be completed on or before the 30th May 2019 and the developer must notify the local authority in writing of the date of completion – the required notice will be issued with any Prior Approval notice granted.

You may contact the Planning & Growth section with any queries you may have regarding the above process, either by writing, by email at or by telephoning (0115) 914 8259

Dropped kerbs

If you want a dropped kerb outside your property you will need to contact Notts County Council. Visit Nottinghamshire County Council dropped kerb webpage to apply. If the property is on an A, B or C road, you may also need to get planning permission from us. Contact us for more information.

What is development?

Development is "the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land" (from Section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990).

However, not all types of development falling within this definition require planning permission. Some types of development are covered by the The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995.

We also deal with advertisements which are covered by the Advertisement consent regime . Consent for listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas may also be required. Visit the conservation pages for more information or see Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers.