Empty Homes Strategy 2019-2024
The Council has produced a Strategy which was approved by Cabinet in February 2019 following a period of public consultation.
The strategy can be downloaded from the link on the right hand side of this page.
Empty Homes can be detrimental to the lives of local residents and communities. Even a single empty home can blight a whole street or community, reducing the values of surrounding properties and causing nuisance to local residents. Empty homes can also attract vandalism, fly-tipping and other criminal activity, ranging from the minor to the extremely serious, but in addition to increasing crime and the fear of crime there is also potential for a wider detrimental impact on the local community. They also represent a risk for the emergency services and put added pressure on various council departments such as Environmental Health.
The strategy deals with empty homes and can:
- assist in meeting housing need;
- improve housing conditions;
- assist with a reduction in crime and the fear of crime;
- regenerate blighted areas;
- increase Council Tax collection rates and empty home premiums;
- generate additional income through the New Homes Bonus (NHB).
If you have information on an empty home or wish to report one; please email us, or call 0115 981 9911.