You are here :

Food safety in businesses FAQs

Commonly asked questions for food businesses.

Do I need to register my food business?

Yes.You are required by law to register a premises used for a food business at least 28 days before opening, (including markets, stalls, delivery vehicles and other movable structures). We keep a list of all food premises in Rushcliffe so that we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits depends on the type of premises.

Do I have to pay to register my food business?

No.The registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. Apply online or complete a Food premises registration form and send it to:

Protection and Safety Department, Rushcliffe Borough Council, Pavilion Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham, NG2 5FE.

Do I need to be trained to work in a food business?

It is a legal requirement for the food business operator to ensure that food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained in food hygiene matters associated with their work activities.

A food handler is any person involved in a food business that handles or prepares food (open or packaged).

The level of training depends on the job of the individual and the type of food they handle. Find out more about training courses that Rushcliffe Borough Council runs or complete the.

Do I need to do refresher training courses?

No, but we do recommend that you refresh your training every three years so that you are kept up-to-date with legislative changes which may affect the way you work.

How often should I expect to get a visit from an Environmental Health Officer?

Once we have received your registration form we will aim to visit you within one month to carry out a food safety inspection. Premises which pose a higher risk to the consumer will then be inspected more frequently than those premises presenting a lower risk. The inspection frequency could be between six months and five years.

Additional visits may be made between routine inspections in response to suspected food poisoning allegations, routine sampling or food business complaints.

What food safety legislation do I need to know?

The Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006

Food prepared in a food business to be sold should be free from contamination and of the nature, substance and quality demanded and shall be fit for human consumption.

Food is classed as being for sale if it is anywhere within the food premises and is intended for human consumption by being sold, offered as a prize, a reward, or given away as part of promotional advertising or on a charity basis.

Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 and Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006 set out specifically the standards of food safety and hygiene you are expected to comply with in your food business.


Do I need to make a record of temperature checks?

The Food Hygiene (England) Regulations 2006 you are required to keep a record of your critical control point monitoring. You should bear in mind that should an offence be committed and action be taken, you may have a defence of 'due diligence'. Written records may be invaluable in establishing that defence.

Do food handlers have to wear gloves?

It is not a requirement to wear gloves whilst handling food. However, gloves may be worn as a form of protective clothing but it is important to ensure that gloves are kept clean and are regularly changed after handling raw products and before handling ready to eat products to prevent the risk of cross contamination.

If gloves are not worn, hands must be kept clean, wounds must be covered and jewellery (sleepers and a plain wedding band are acceptable) and false nails should not be worn.

Do food handlers need to wear hats and hairnets?

It is important for you to control the risk of food contamination. Hair should therefore be kept clean and long hair must be tied back whilst handling open food. It is good practice for food handlers to cover their hair with a hat and/or a hairnet.

Do I have to register my mobile food vehicle with the council in whose area I trade within?

No.A mobile food vehicle must be registered with the local authority for the area where your vehicle is stored overnight.