You are here :

Environmental permits

Information about the ‘permitting’ and regulation of industrial processes.

Permitted processes for local authority control

Operators of 'prescribed' industrial processes for local authority control are required to apply to the local authority for a 'permit' under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act (1999) Part A2 or Part B depending on the type of process. The requirement covers new and existing processes. The types of processes covered by this legislation are contained in schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.

When the permit is granted, conditions are attached to minimise the effects of emissions of pollutants to the environment. Details of the ‘permits’ and any existing ‘authorisations’, granted under the previous legislation, including monitoring data and legal notices are kept on a public register available for inspection at the Rushcliffe Arena.

A list of Pollution and Prevention Control Act permitted installations within the district of Rushcliffe Borough Council is available to download:

To make an application for a Prescribed Process then please use the appropriate form listed below and email or post the form and supporting information to:
Rushcliffe Borough Council
Rushcliffe Arena, Rugby Road
West Bridgford

Hazardous Substances

Information and guidance relating to hazardous substances in the workplace can be found in the Health and Safety section of our website.

Hazardous pollution incidents that occur in the environment need to be reported to the Environment Agency. The Agency regulates waste management through a system of licences. They register and monitor people who transport waste, and they must be told beforehand if anyone moves potentially dangerous waste ('special waste' such as asbestos). The Agency works closely with Rushcliffe Borough Council and other organisations to tackle specific pollution control issues such as fly-tipping (dumping waste illegally).

Industrial processes regulated by the Environment Agency

Complex and potentially more polluting industrial processes are regulated by the Environment Agency. Details of these processes within the Borough of Rushcliffe are kept on a public register available for inspection at the Civic Centre - search the Environment Agency public registers page.

Contact details for the local Environment Agency

Postal address:
Environment Agency
Lower Trent
Trentside Offices
Scarrington Road
West Bridgford
NG2 5FA.

Telephone number: 08708 506 506.

Environmental permitting

General information 

You must obtain an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility. A regulated activity includes:

  • Installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • Waste operations
  • Waste mobile plant
  • Mining waste operations.

Listed activities include:

  • Energy – burning fuel, gasification, liquification and refining activities
  • Metals – manufacturing and processing metals
  • Minerals – manufacturing lime, cement, or glass
  • Chemicals – manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • Waste – incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • Solvents – using solvents
  • Other – manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming.

Listed activities are divided into three categories Part A(1) Part A(2) and Part B. Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts including:

  • Emissions to air, land and water
  • Energy efficiency
  • Waste reduction
  • Raw materials consumption
  • Noise, vibration and heat
  • Accident prevention.

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air. The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions. Permits are available from the Environment Agency or your local authority depending upon the category of your business.

Part A (1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Part A (2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority except waste operations under Part B which are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation or by Part A or B mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Am I eligible? 

Applications must be made on the forms provided include the specific information required. A fee is payable depended on the type of operation. The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility. For waste operations no licence will be granted unless planning permission has been granted first.

How will my application be evaluated?

The authority will take regard to the protection of the environment as a whole in particular preventing or where practicable reducing emissions into the air water and land. The authority may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

Application form 

You can download an application form in the 'Related documents' box on the right hand side of this page.

What happens next?

Once your application form and certificates have been received the authority will allocate it to an officer who will contact you about the application.

What if my application is refused?

You may appeal to the local authority in relation to a regulator initiated variation, suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six  months from the date of decision.

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (the Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct. If you are outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


There are no public registers for this licence.

More about environmental permitting

More information can be found on