You are here :

Reduce your fuel bills

For some simple ideas to get started visit the Energy Saving Trust webpage on starting to save money at

or visit the taking action page of the Everyones talking about climate change webpage at

Other Contacts for advice:

Greater Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Healthy Housing Service - a service operated by Nottingham Energy Partnership, provides advice and may be able to help you access grants. tel 0115 985 3009, email or visit A Home visit advice service is now available and help with boiler servicing.

The Energy Saving Advice Service - For general enquiries and advicephone 0300 123 1234 or visit

Or contact your energy supplier or these companies for advice and information.  0800 072 8629  0800 096 9966 0333 202 4650 0800 02 22 20 0800 027 0404  0800 980 8831

To find home insulation installers or renewable energy products you could try Derbyshire County Councils Trusted Trader scheme at and find home insulation or renewable energy products.

Kagoo Running Cost Calculator: calculate your energy usage by appliance or device, and learn how to avoid hidden fees (this external site is not managed by Rushcliffe Borough Council)

Get the best prices

Fuel bills can be reduced by changing suppliers and/or changing to a dual fuel bill. There are a number of price comparison websites to work out the best for you.  The Nottingham City Energy Tariff Switch at or phone 0800 310 2333 is one such site.

If you would like to reduce your bills you may be interested in signing up to the Nottinghamshire Switch, Save & Smile scheme; a partnership between Nottingham Energy Partnership and iChoosr Limited and supported by Rushcliffe Borough Council. This scheme brings together people interested, to get the best energy price possible. Energy Suppliers will be asked to offer a price for energy, to all the energy users signing up, you will then be asked if you would like to take up this offer.

For further information and to sign up please visit the scheme website at

Further advice on shopping around for energy suppliers or tariffs is available on the Go Energy Shopping website Advice for tenants can be found at

Consumer Direct by Citizens Advice can help if you are having problems with your energy supplier or you want impartial advice on switching suppliers (search for energy on the website). They also give advice for elderly and vulnerable consumers. Call 03454 04 05 06 if you would prefer to talk to someone.

Check if there’s a cheaper way to pay - If you pay by cash or cheque your supplier will write to you this winter but you don’t have to wait for their letter to find out if you could be saving money. You can contact your energy supplier to ask them what the cheapest deal is that they can offer you. You can also find out whether you are eligible for extra financial help if you are on a low income or additional support from the suppliers’ Priority Services Register.

Cheaper prices for pre-payment meter customers: Robin Hood Energy and EBICo are not-for-profit companies, which offers cheaper prices for pre-payment meter customers and low energy users. For more information call Robin Hood Energy on 0800 030 4567 or visit or call EBICo on 0800 458 7689 or visit EBICo's website

Economy 7: You may think the Economy 8 (E7) off-peak electricity tariff is saving you money, but unless you use electric storage radiators which specifically use the off-peak electricity, you may be paying more for your electricity than you need. Even if you put the dishwasher and washing machine on overnight, you may not be using enough Economy 7 electricity to compensate for the slightly increased day-time rate which you are being charged. By reading your meter or looking at your bill, you can determine how much you are using and what tariff you are paying. Alternatively, contact your supplier (the number is on your bill) and ask them to tell you whether you would be better off transferring to another tariff.



Nottinghamshire Bulk Oil Buying Scheme

Rural Community Action Nottinghamshire, by bringing communities throughout Nottinghamshire together and making the most of joint buying power, can make savings on the purchasing of bulk oil and pass them directly to people like you whose fuel costs are high simply because you use oil-fired central heating. Already over 200 people have joined the scheme saving on average 5p a litre or £50 on a 1000 litre order.

All you need to do to take advantage of the scheme is to pay an annual membership fee of £20 and complete the membership form available online at RCAN Bulk Oil Buying Scheme For more information  call 01623 727600 and ask for Melanie Saxton or email

Cheaper energy for people on low incomes, over 60 and the disabled

Most energy suppliers help customers who are experiencing difficulty paying for their fuel (if they are on a low income, are disabled or over 60). For more information visit the webpage.

For information on winter fuel payments for people over pension credit qualifying age visit

For information on cold weather payments for those on low incomes visit

Download Nottinghamshire County Council Top Tips leaflet [PDF] for more help on keeping warm

Age Concern can help those over 65 who are vulnerable or on low incomes, contact Age UK Notts Safety and Improvement team on 0800 888 6464 or email

Homes Behaving Badly (HOBBs)

An innovative project run by Transition West Bridgford, Nottingham called 'Homes Behaving Badly' (HOBBs) has produced a report that shows householders how to slash energy bills.

This step by step guide to becoming an energy expert in your own home shows you how to achieve the biggest savings possible. The great news is that you don’t have to wait to save energy, everyone can start now. The HOBBS report is now available as a free download from

The comprehensive report covers:

  • General information on energy saving options
  • Additional information specific to cavity wall homes
  • Additional information specific to solid wall homes
  • Information for householders looking to carry out a loft conversion or to improve the
  • energy efficiency of existing attic rooms and loft conversions.