Information and a map of Granby Conservation Area.
The village of Granby was designated in 1990 as part of the Borough Council's proposals to create ten new Conservation Areas. The boundary encompasses the whole village of 264 people and includes 9 Listed Buildings or structures.
A tight street pattern, containing numerous cottages and farms radiates from the three central greens. Standing on a pre-Norman conquest site, the mostly Early English, 13th/14th century church of All Saints was reduced in size and restored around 1777, and again in 1888. However, two small round-headed Norman windows still survive in the second stage of the tower. Within the churchyard are five groups of Grade II Listed headstones which mark a total of 72, mainly 18th century, graves. The earliest decipherable stone is dated 1710 with the inscription 'William, the dear child of George Rick by Cassandra his wife'.
One of the village's oldest buildings is the farmhouse on Church Street. The right gable, beneath the steeply pitched pantile roof, has a stone plaque inscribed "G H 1762".
The boundary of the Granby Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 8 September 2009.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.