Information and a map of Cropwell Butler Conservation Area.
The boundary of the Cropwell Butler Conservation Area was revised on 22 February 2007 as part of our ongoing review of conservation areas in Rushcliffe. The boundary was extended to protect land that helps to create the rural character of the village.
This most attractive village with a population of just over 600 has an historic and interesting pattern of streets and spaces. Unusually it is one of the few villages in the area without a parish church. Its original church had monastic ties and was destroyed during the Reformation.
The focal point is the green, from which both Main Street and its unusual parallel feature of Back Lane lead south.
Narrow roads, closed in by the warm red bricks and pantiles of the rural buildings, high walls and a number of attractive trees characterize main street. Back Lane, on the other hand, is a traditional country lane with green verges, hedgerows and mature trees.
At just under 22 hectares, it was designated in 1990 as part of the Borough Council's proposals to create ten new Conservation Areas and includes 4 Grade II Listed Buildings, the most notable being West Lea, built mid 18th century and The Grove, dated 1837.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.