Appraisal and map of Car Colston Conservation Area.
East of the Fosse Way Roman road lies Car Colston, a village steeped in history. The large Conservation Area encloses the whole village of 180 people and 13 Listed Buildings or structures. It also includes indications of Bronze Age occupation, remains of a Roman villa (a Scheduled Ancient Monument), a series of medieval earthworks, croft boundaries and a square moat which once surrounded the Willoughby Manor House.
The most obvious features of the village are the two commons, with detached houses standing in their own grounds or informal groupings of small cottages occurring between Large Common and the mainly 14th century Early English style church of St Mary's. The predominant building material is local clamp-fired red brick with clay pantiled roofs.
Adjoining Little Common lies Brunsell Hall where remains of the original 1662 Manor House can still be seen. Just off Large Common is Beech Close House, which is also Grade II Listed, an attractive Country House, built in 1718 and standing in a walled garden.
The boundary of the Car Colston Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 9th June 2009.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.