Appraisal and map of Bradmore Conservation Area.
This small Conservation Area was only designated as recently as October 1994. Surprisingly, for its size it includes 19 Listed Buildings or structures (all Grade II). The core of the village has changed little over the last two centuries; its shape and size remaining largely unchanged with a population of about 300 people. Several of the attractively restored cottages had ‘Stockingers’ shops attached, where the locals worked as stocking knitters on framework machines.
A devastating fire in 1705 destroyed 12 houses and numerous barns, stables and workshops in under two hours. The 13th/14th century tower and spire of the church survived but was never properly rebuilt and by 1881 a Mission Hall had been built adjoining the original tower.
After the fire, many of the red brick, now converted barns, houses and farmhouses seen throughout the Bradmore of today were designed and built by Sir Thomas Parkyns (1662-1741) of Bunny Hall. These fine buildings provide an historic link between the two communities of Bunny and Bradmore.
The boundary of the Bradmore Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 19 May 2009. The appraisal was revised on 7 December 2011.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.