You are here :

Bingham

Bingham conservation area appraisal and management plan, and a map of the conservation area boundary.

In May 1970, Bingham was the first Conservation Area to be designated in Rushcliffe. Market Cross, probably by T C Hine, Gothic revivalist style, erected in 1861.

Bingham has a present day population of around 9,000, and the sizeable Conservation Area contains 24 Listed Buildings or structures. Most of these lie between the 13th/14th century Church of St Mary and All Saints and the Market Place, around the Market Place itself and along Long Acre, the former main route through the town.

A number of good examples of early cottages and other traditional local vernacular buildings can be seen here. In particular, many former agricultural outbuildings are easily discernible throughout the town centre, evoking Bingham’s proud rural heritage. Mature trees, hedgerows, a paddock, a hollow way, traditional red brick boundary walls and wide grassy verges contribute to the attractive sylvan character of much of the Conservation Area.

Bingham was granted a Market Charter in 1314 and a market was held here until the end of the 19th century. The market was revived in 1975 and the bustling Thursday market is an attractive feature of Bingham today. The large open Market Place lies at the heart of the Conservation Area, and its octagonal Butter Cross is a distinctive focal point.

The boundary of the Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 8 June 2010.

For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.


Contact Us

Contact Us

Conservation
Rushcliffe Borough Council