Information and a map of Aslockton Conservation Area.
Aslockton Conservation Area was designated on 15 June 2007.
The Conservation Area is based on the historic core of the village which extends back from both sides of Main Street. The village centre consists mainly of buildings dating from the nineteenth century or earlier including several large detached houses, many smaller houses, cottages and old farm buildings, and two pubs. The parish church of St Thomas (Grade II Listed Building) dates from 1891 and the remains of the fifteenth century Holy Trinity Chapel can still be seen incorporated into a later building in Main Street. At the southern end of Main Street the railway station also includes a Grade II Listed Building.
Aslockton has historical associations with the sixteenth century Archbishop Thomas Cranmer who was born in the village and spent his early years there. On the west side of Main Street, Cranmer House occupies the site of his original residence and on the east side off the village is a series of earthworks known as Cranmer’s Mound which are the remains of a garden belonging to the Cranmer family. The mound itself may originally have been a Norman motte (castle mound). However, as the earthworks are already designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument it was not thought necessary to include them in the proposed conservation area.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.