You are here :

Managing your money

If you’re concerned about managing your money, or have debts, don’t ignore the problems as they don’t go away. Try not to worry – instead seek help. If you can’t pay your rent you could be evicted, or your home may be repossessed if you don’t pay your mortgage.

You may want to find out if you’re getting all the benefits or tax credits that you’re entitled too as well. Visit for a range public service information and useful links. 

Rushcliffe Borough Council may be able to help you afford your home.

  • I cannot afford the rent - if you are on a low income and are struggling to pay the rent you may be entitled to housing benefit.
  • I cannot afford the council tax - if you are on a low income and are struggling to pay the council tax each month you may be entitled to council tax support.
  • I need money to improve or adapt my home - if you are on a low income and need help improving and adapting your home, due to a disability or your home is in an extremely poor state of repair, you may be eligible for a housing grant to help to make these changes - improving and adapting your home.
  • I cannot afford a deposit - if you are on a low income, are homeless or threatened with homelessness and have found a property to rent in the Borough but cannot afford the deposit, you may be eligible for assistance through the Deposit Guarantee Scheme - private rented housing.
  • I want to own a property - if you are an existing housing association tenant on a housing waiting list, first time buyer or your household has an income less than £60,000, and you have sufficient income to raise at least 25% of the open market value and be able to pay the remaining amount in rent, you may qualify for HomeBuy schemes - affordable home ownership

There are lots of organisations that can give financial advice and help. They are listed below.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) offer advice on debt problems and a very wide range of other money and non-money topics. Visit  or for local details and opening times. There are also local advice centres in Rushcliffe.

StepChange Debt Charity

If you’re in debt, StepChange Debt Charity can help. With over 20 years’ experience in offering free and impartial debt advice, they can assist you in making your financial situation more manageable. Give their free Helpline a call on 0800 138 1111 to speak to an advisor.

Web: StepChange Debt Charity  

Contact Form:

Phone: 0800 138 1111

Post: StepChange Debt Charity, Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG.

Financial Services Authority (FSA)

The FSA provide a financial health check service - for more details visit the Financial Services Authority website

National Debtline

This is a telephone-based service and is a national helpline for people with debt problems. They will discuss debt problems and explain the options available to you.

Web: National Debtline  

Phone: 0808 808 4000

Post: National Debtline, Tricorn House, 51-53 Hagley Road, Edgbaston,Birmingham,B16 8TP.

Debt Support Trust

Debt Support Trust is a not for profit debt charity with trained, debt advisors who have the expertise to provide tailored expert debt support.


Phone: 0800 085 0226

Post: Claremont Business Centre,112 Cornwall Street, KinningPark, Glasgow G41 1AA.


Payplan provide free debt advice and management. For more details:

Web: Payplan website


Phone: 0808 278 9095

Age UK

Age Concern provides information on income and benefits for older people. For more details:

Web: Age UK website


Phone: 0800 00 99 66

Post: Age Concern England, Astral House, 1268 London Road,London,  SW16 4ER.


AdviceUK is a registered charity and is theUK's largest support network for free, independent advice centres. For more details:

Web: Advice UK website  


Phone: 020 7407 4070

Post: Head Office, 12th Floor, New London Bridge House, 25 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9SG.

Advice Nottingham British Gas Energy Trust Project

The Advice Nottingham British Gas Energy Trust Project exists to help British Gas customers who have arrears of over £100 or who need help with funeral costs, new cookers and other essential items that they cannot otherwise afford.  The project will help people complete an application form to the British Gas Energy Trust Fund and if successful the arrears will be cleared with a one-off payment. The scheme is open to all British Gas customers regardless of income or benefits and applications from working people and retired people are strongly encouraged.


Phone: 0115 986 0197  

Text: 07719 161 040

Post: Advice Nottingham British Gas Energy Trust Project, 10 Blackstone Walk, Nottingham, NG2 2HQ