You are here :

Rushcliffe Armed Forces Covenant

Rushcliffe Borough Council is committed to supporting armed forces personnel and veterans as part of the Armed Forces Covenant, a scheme which encourages understanding and awareness of the issues affecting veterans and their families within the local community, and promotes better help and support for existing and ex-Armed Forces personnel and their families.

More information about the covenant can be found on the Armed Forces Covenant website. You can also read more about the Covenant partnership in Rushcliffe, Charnwood and Melton.

Help for Armed Forces personnel

The Armed Forces Covenant website has a range of information for regulars, reservists, veterans and their families on how the covenant can support you as well as links to useful websites and national services available.

Local services in Rushcliffe


When you leave the Armed Forces there are some key areas to consider:

  • Housing – Rushcliffe Borough Council provides a range of advice and support including help finding a place to live, benefits and money management - Housing advice and help.
  • Health – There are many ways that you can access local health services. It’s important that you choose the right one to ensure you get the right care, in the right place, first time. Find your nearest GP, Dentist or Optician – NHS Rushcliffe Clinical Commissioning Group.

  • Education – Due to multiple postings, children may have to move frequently between schools, and as such, transition arrangements need to be considered.  For details on how to apply for a school place in Rushcliffe – Nottinghamshire County Council Education.

  • Employment – On leaving the armed forces finding employment can be a challenge.  However support and training is available through a range of local sources including Rushcliffe Borough Council Job Fairs, Job Centre Plus, Central College Nottingham Careers Transition Partnership and The Forces Employment Chartity

  • Royal British Legion - The Royal British Legion provide a wide range of advice and help on all of the above issues for ex-service personnel and their dependants. Visit the Nottinghamshire Royal British Legion web site for details of your nearest branch.


The Service Leaver’s Guide, provided by the MoD, offers detailed information and advice for service personnel who are planning to leave or have left regular service. 

The Armed Forces Covenant website provides information about support available to service leavers.

Who to contact

Victoria Coomber is the Armed Forces Covenant Development Officer for Charnwood, Melton and Rushcliffe Borough Councils. For more information on what’s available to Armed Forces personnel within Charnwood, Melton and Rushcliffe you can contact her by email to

For more information on veterans and the armed forces


Armed Forces Covenant e-newsletter

If you are a member of the armed forces community and would like to be kept up to date with things that are happening in Charnwood, Melton and Rushcliffe, then sign up to our e-newsletter.

We will only use your email for the purpose above and will not pass your details on to third parties. 

Support when leaving the Armed Forces

If you are leaving the Armed Forces, the five key areas to consider are:


You will have been guided through your transition in civilian life with your Unit Welfare officer but if you need further support the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) are there for anyone who has served in the forces. SPVA provides advice on benefits, compensation payments, pensions and much more.

VeteransUK provides a full range of information for people injured, disabled and bereaved in the service, including details of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, War Disablement Pensions and Armed Forces Pensions. A specialist helpline is available on:

  • Tel: 0808 191 4218


Your resettlement support programme will entitle you to access training advice and courses. This is dependent on your length of service:

  • Early Service Leaver Support Programme, those who have served less than four years’ service.
  • Employment Support Programme, those who have served four to six years’ service.
  • Full Resettlement Programme for those with six or more years’ service or those leaving on medical grounds or redundancy.

Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT) can enable you to choose how you use your resettlement time. You are entitled to access the GRT scheme once you have completed six years of service. The Career Transition Partnership (CTP) is the MOD’s provider of further resettlement services.


Finding somewhere to live maybe a big challenge. If you have nowhere to live post discharge, be sure to notify us as soon as possible. If you are single and about about to leave the forces, the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) may be able to help:

If you are looking to buy your own property, you can get independent financial advice from Moneyforce. Moneyforce is the home of money advice for the UK service personnel and their families. It includes an innovative budget planner, car cost calculator and credit forecaster.

Credit Union in association with Clockwise

We have agreed to develop a three-year partnership arrangement with Clockwise Credit Union to develop and expand its services in the area – in order to stamp out the loan sharks.

Credit unions are community banks that are democratically controlled by their members and are set up as not-for-profit. There are no external shareholders so the cash stays within the community.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP's)

DHP's provide extra help with your rent if needed. Consider applying if you have a shortfall in rent caused by the bedroom tax, benefit cap or other reductions in housing benefits.

Housing Benefit should not be reduced due to the bedroom tax for a room usually occupied by a member of the armed forces who is serving away providing they intend to return to your home. You don’t have a repay a DHP.


It is important that when you leave the forces that you and your family register with a local doctor and dentist. You will need your NHS number and FMed 113 – this is a summary of your medical documents you will have been sent after you’ve been discharged.

The NHS runs a free text message service called NHS Choices Mobile, this is accessed by texting a keyword such as A&E, dentist, pharmacy to 64746 you will be sent a free text giving assistance.

NHS Direct also provides 24-hour medical advice, to access the service:

  • Tel: 111

More information and advice links for transitioning

The Royal British Legion offers a range of financial assistance services, including benefits and money advice, grants and loans. A handy van service is offered which provides a free, dedicated handy person to carry out small home repairs and alterations.

SSAFA is a national charity that provides support to thousands of armed forces personnel and their families. The Nottinghamshire branch can be contacted on:

  • Tel: 0115 9781623