Taxi Licensing – Information for Drivers
What is the process to become a taxi driver?
You may want to read our Hackney Carriage Licensing Policy which came into force on 1 January 2017.
Registration – what is required?
The authority has moved to a two part system of applying for a Dual driver’s badge, as a prospective driver you will be required to register with Rushcliffe Borough Council if you are interested in becoming a driver for a Rushcliffe Licensed Operator or your own Hackney vehicle. Complete the application form which must be completed in full and a payment of £25.00 by bank card, you will receive an email with a check list of items as set out below. This process MUST be completed within a three month period. We do advise that you book a knowledge test as soon as you are ready, the test looks at Rushcliffe only and our policy which can be found on our website.
You must produce the following in any order during the three month period:
1. An enhanced DBS Check (Disclosure and Barring Service)
2. Full UK drivers Licence held for at least a year
3. 2 current passport sized photographs.
4. UK passport or right to work card/passport
5. National Insurance number
6. Medical examination with Medicare (require eyesight test before attending)
7. Driving test with Nottingham City council
8. Safeguarding Course pass
9. Two Character reference’s (not from any employer)
10. Two utility Bills to confirm address
11. Rushcliffe Borough Council Knowledge Test (3 online tests only)
All of the above must be in place before the three month period expires; there are no refunds of any monies paid. Please read the procedure notes.
We do use other databases for information on applicants DVLA for any convictions, (including cautions, warnings, Fixed Penalty Notices and ASBOs), as well as any motoring convictions which may be recorded against you. Any applications which have been refused for a Private Hire/ Hackney licence (NAFIN) and all of the authorities in Nottinghamshire collect and share information on refusals and revocation.
You are required to declare any offence or refusal / suspension by another authority also in addition if you have been through the registration process before you must not re apply within three months of your last registration period expiring. If you require any advice on the registration process please contact Licensing@rushcliffe.gov.uk or ring 01159819911