Taxi Licensing – Information for Drivers
What is the process to become a taxi driver?
You may want to read our Hackney Carriage Licensing Policy which came into force on 1 January 2017.
Registration – what is required?
The Authority has moved to a two part system of applying for a dual driver’s badge. As a prospective driver you will be required to register with the Authority that you are interested in becoming a driver. Complete the registration form in full along with a payment of £25.00 via debit or credit card. You will then receive an email with a check list of items as set out below. This process MUST be completed within a three month period.
You must produce the following in any order during the three month period:
1. An enhanced DBS Check (Disclosure and Barring Service). Use the guide to online disclosure found in Related Documents section.
2. Full UK drivers Licence held for at least a year
3. 2 current passport sized photographs
4. UK passport or right to work card/passport
5. National Insurance Number
6. Medical examination with Medigold (require eyesight test before attending) - 0115 9209901 - you will need to take the medical form with you to your appointment, found in the Related Documents section of this page. The fee is currently set at £75.00.
7. Driving test with Nottingham City Council. To book a test, please telephone - 0115 8761444 - the fee is currently £25.75
8. Safeguarding Course pass. Course information is found in the Related Documents section.
9. Two Character reference’s (not from any employer)
10. Two utility bills to confirm address
11. Rushcliffe Borough Council Knowledge Test. A computerised test (maximum of 3 tests only) - £25.75 per test.
All of the above must be in place before the three month period expires - there are no refunds of any monies paid. Please read the procedure notes.
We do use other databases for information on applicants DVLA for any convictions, (including cautions, warnings, Fixed Penalty Notices and ASBOs), as well as any motoring convictions which may be recorded against you. Any applications which have been refused for a Private Hire / Hackney licence (NAFIN) and all of the authorities in Nottinghamshire collect and share information on refusals and revocation.
You are required to declare any offence or refusal / suspension by another Authority. Also, in addition, if you have been through the registration process before, you must not re apply within three months of your last registration period expiring. If you require any advice on the registration process please contact Licensing@rushcliffe.gov.uk or phone 01159819911