You are here :

Pet shop

Pet shops are regulated under the Pet Animals Act 1951 Section 1. The Council will make regular inspections of the premises to ensure that any licence conditions applied to the licence are adhered to.

To run a business selling pet animals, you require a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals including shops, businesses and internet sales. A fee is applicable to the application which is at present set at £88 renewable annually.

Am I eligible? 

An applicant must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

Regulation summary 

Read more on the pet animals act.

How will my application be evaluated?

Once your application form and fee has been received, your premises may be inspected to make sure that certain conditions are met, including:

  • Animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times, and the accommodation is suitable in respect of construction, size, number of animals housed, temperature, lighting ventilation and cleanliness
  • Adequate food, and drink will be provided and the animals will be visited regularly
  • Any mammalian (mammals) animals will not be sold to young
  • Steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among animals
  • Each licence is issued subject to the standard conditions imposed and The Council may also impose special conditions applicable to your premises. Download more information on pet shop conditions.

Apply online

What happens next?

Once your application form has been received with the fee an inspection of the premises will be undertaken before the licence is issued.

What if my application is refused?

Please contact the licensing service in the first instance. An appeal against the grant can be made to the local Magistrates Court.

Consumer complaints 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first point of contact should be made with the service provider (The Council). If this has not worked and you are located in the UK then contact Consumer Direct. If you are outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.


There are no public registers for this licence.

Contact Us

Contact Us

Rushcliffe Borough Council
Licensing team

Do it online

Do It Online