You are here :

Electrical regulations

Information about Part P Electrical Installations.

According to Government statistics, each year on average 10 people die and about 750 are seriously injured in accidents involving unsafe electrical installations in the home.

Electrical safety requirements

Since 1 January 2005 all electrical work in dwellings has to comply with Building Regulation ‘Part P’ requirements and be carried out by persons who are competent to do the work.

Small jobs such as replacing a socket-outlet or a light switch on an existing circuit will not need to be notified to a building control body (although there will be some exceptions for high risk areas such as kitchens and bathrooms).

All work that involves adding a new circuit to a dwelling will need to be either notified to building control, who will then inspect the work for a charge (the current minimum fee for electrical work is £215), or carried out by a competent person who is registered with a Part P Self-Certification Scheme.

Persons registered with Part P Self-Certification Schemes will be fully qualified electrical contractors with the ability to thoroughly check a circuit for safety and be aware of other Building Regulation requirements that may impact on any particular installation. They will be able to issue Building Regulations Certificates of compliance and will have to give those details to the relevant Local Authority.

Most jobs carried out by DIYers will be small jobs that do not need to be notified to building control, but they should still be checked by a competent electrician.

For further information please see the planning portal electrical guidance leaflet.

Self-certification schemes

The Government has approved schemes to be operated by:

  • BRE Certification Limited
  • British Standards Institution
  • ELECSA Limited
  • NICEIC Certification Services Limited
  • NAPIT Certification Limited.

These schemes are aimed at those carrying out electrical installation work as the primary activity of their business.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving

Contact Us

Contact Us

South Kesteven District Council
Building Control

Do it online

Do It Online