You are here :


Extending an existing dwelling

In general, all extensions require building regulation consent. Complete a Householder enquiry form to find out if you need building regulation consent.

There are however four particular types of extension you can build without making a Building Regulation application, and these are:

  • a conservatory
  • a porch
  • a covered yard or covered way
  • a carport.

But in each case:

  • the extension must be at ground level and single storey (so a first floor conservatory would need consent)
  • the floor area must not exceed 30m2 (measured internally)
  • any glazing to a conservatory or porch must be safety glazing (ie will not cause injury if broken)
  • any carport must be open on two or more sides
  • any electrical work carried out by an approved, competent person.

In addition a porch or conservatory must also:

  • not create a larger floor area to an existing room
  • if heated, the heating system must not be an extension to the dwellings heating system
  • be thermally separated from the existing dwelling.

If you are planning on building an extension, the new legislation regarding public sewers may affect you - see Building over or within 3 meters of a Public Sewer

Extending a building which is not a dwelling

In general, all extensions require consent unless the building being extended is itself exempt.

This list may not be very easy to follow, but if you are in any way unsure of how it should be interpreted, please contact us so we can advise you properly.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving

Contact Us

Contact Us

South Kesteven District Council
Building Control

Do it online

Do It Online