You are here :

Changes to the Building Control

Rushcliffe Borough Council is in partnership with South Kesteven District Council to deliver a shared building control service. Building Control payments are now processed by South Kesteven District Council.

You can make a payment for building control services online from the South Kesteven District Council website. Select the Building Control option and then the service you are paying for from the second menu.

Please call us on 0115 9148 459 if you require any further information.

Dangerous structures

Where the condition of a building may endanger people, the Borough Council have legal powers to investigate and to require that it be made safe. Typical examples would be walls which are leaning over or unstable, and roof tiles which are being blown off in high winds.

In order to be considered dangerous, a building must actually pose a threat of causing harm to a person. Buildings which are simply dilapidated or run down would not necessarily therefore be considered dangerous, and minor items (damaged timber fencing panels for example) are also unlikely to qualify.

Where we investigate a report of a dangerous structure, and agree that action is required, this will usually take one of two forms:

  • If the building is so dangerous that we consider immediate action necessary, we will employ contractors to make it safe straight away. In many cases this will take the form of fencing-off the affected area to allow remedial work to be carried out later by the owner
  • Where the building is considered dangerous - but not immediately so, we will normally try to contact the owner and require that the work be made safe within a reasonable period of time. If the owner fails to do so, we can apply to a Magistrates Court for an order allowing us to do so instead.

Note that in both the above cases we can only require the minimum amount of work necessary to make the building safe, and will attempt to recover any costs we incur in doing so from the building owner.

If you are a building owner and are concerned that part of your property may be dangerous, please contact us and we will be happy to offer you advice free of charge.

If you notice a building in Rushcliffe which you think may be dangerous, please contact us and we will arrange for it to be inspected.


If you intend to demolish a building, or part of a building (an internal wall or conservatory for example) then in most cases, you must notify the Borough Council before doing so. The Borough Council may then impose requirements on the way the demolition work is carried out.

These may include:

  • Limitations on the hours of work
  • Requirements to notify adjoining owners and service providers (Gas, Water, Electricity etc)
  • A ban on burning any materials on site
  • Provisions to limit the effects on adjoining properties (excessive dust, noise etc)
  • Provisions to remove and dispose of any asbestos found in the building safely.

Please note that you must not start demolition until you have:

  • (a) Notified the Borough Council of your intentions - fill in an application form.
  • (b) Received a notice back from the Borough Council of any requirements we have in your case. As this may take up to six weeks, you should notify us of your intentions as early as possible so that work is not unnecessarily delayed.

If you intend to carry out demolition works, and are unsure if notification will be required in your particular case, please contact us for advice. Please note that if you intend to demolish a dwelling, you may also need to obtain planning consent before doing so.

If demolition works are being carried out near you and are causing problems, please contact us and we will investigate.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving

Contact Us

Contact Us

South Kesteven District Council
Building Control

Do it online

Do It Online