You are here :

Second adult rebate

If you are liable to pay council tax but do not qualify for council tax reduction, you may still be able to get a reduction in your council tax if a second adult (someone else over the age of 18 who is not your partner) lives with you.

This is based on the income and benefits of the second adult. The income and savings of the person who is liable to pay the council tax are not taken into account. The amount of second adult rebate that can be awarded is based on the following:


Income of second adult



Reduction in weekly eligible council tax


Second adult in receipt of Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employee Support Allowance (income related), Guaranteed Pension Credit






Second adult's gross weekly income is less than £193






Second adult's gross weekly income is between £193 and £250





The person who is liable to pay the council tax (and not the second adult) must contact our customer services on 0115 981 9911. Unfortunately you will not be able to make a claim online for second adult rebate.

If you wish to apply for second adult rebate please complete a form.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving