What we do with your information
The process we go through with the information you provide:
- We review the information you provide within 5 days
- First of all we decide if there is enough information to start an investigation
- We gather additional information about the suspect(s) from a wide range of sources where we have the legal gateway to obtain the information required
- We investigate and establish the facts and where appropriate take action - including the withdrawal of benefits or starting a criminal prosecution
- If it is believed that the person has committed an offence then that person will be invited to attend a Formal interview under caution
- Investigations can take several months. We are not allowed to comment on cases under investigation, so if you report someone, we will not be able to update you on how the investigation is proceeding.
If you are receiving benefit yourself it is your responsibility to notify the us immediately of any change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to benefit. You cannot assume that other organisations e.g. the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), will notify us on your behalf.