You are here :

Types of benefit fraud

The types of benefit fraud we come across are:

  • Working and claiming - this, for example, involves claimants who are receiving housing or council tax benefit on the basis that they are entitled to job seeker's allowance/income support but are actually working
  • Non-disclosure of property, capital or income - this is where the claimant does not tell us about all of their income, savings, capital or property, so that the amount of benefit they get is higher than it should be
  • Non-disclosure of partner (living together as man and wife, as civil partners or as same sex couples) - this involves a claimant receiving housing or council tax benefit and not telling us they have a partner
  • Non-declaration of non-dependants or sub-tenants - this is where a claimant does not tell us about other adults living in the property so that they keep, or increase, their entitlement to benefit
  • False claims by homeowners - this is where the owner of a property falsely claims housing benefit, stating they are paying rent for the property, inventing a fictitious landlord and using false rent books and tenancy agreements
  • False address or failing to declare a change of address - this is where the claimant is claiming benefit for an address where they do not live. These types of offences can involve the landlord or other tenants, or occur when the claimant doesn't tell us that they have moved out of a property
  • Landlord fraud - this is where a landlord continues to receive benefit paid direct to them when they know the claimant has left the premises
  • Fictitious tenancies - this is where a tenancy is created between friends or family where the property would not normally be rented or where their circumstances exclude them from benefit, in order to obtain benefit to which they are not entitled.

If you are receiving benefit yourself it is your responsibility to notify us immediately of any change in your circumstances that may affect your entitlement to benefit. You cannot assume that other organisations e.g. the Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), will notify us on your behalf.

Rate this page

How do you rate this information / service?
This page is okay
This page needs improving