Information and a map of Thoroton Conservation Area.
This small, linear village of 140 people lies alongside the River Smite and is surrounded by open countryside. It was granted Conservation Area status in 1974.
Thoroton is a traditional Nottinghamshire village in character, with the predominant building materials being red brick and pantiles. The buildings themselves closely define the street but wide grass verges edge the lanes on the main approaches.
The parish church of St Helena is mostly 14th century but work from the 13th, 12th and even 11th centuries can still clearly be seen. Major restoration work took place in 1869. To the north is the mid 17th century Manor Farmhouse, whilst in a farmyard to the south of The Hall is a 14th century circular dovecote which is very similar to that at nearby Sibthorpe; these are
three of six Grade II Listed buildings in the village.
Despite the simplicity of the single street form, subtle curves in the street, individual buildings and trees create an attractive sequence of views and give Thoroton a particular character of its own.
The boundary of the Thoroton Conservation Area was reviewed and substantially extended on 8 September 2009.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.