Information and a map of Orston Conservation Area.
Orston has an intricate street pattern. High Street and Church Street suggest a medieval lay-out. Between these streets is St Mary’s Church which is mostly 13th, 14th and 15th century. The tower dates from 1766 with restoration work taking place in 1889 and 1914. The delicately carved font dated 1662 and a drum from the Battle of Waterloo are both worthy of note.
The village as a whole is very well preserved with some fine cottages and farmhouses and contains 9 Listed Buildings. Trees are an intrinsic element of the village. An avenue of trees forms an attractive entrance to Orston from the west and Horse Chestnut trees enhance several street scenes. One of the finest houses is The Gables, a 17th century brick building with an unusual and large Dutch gable. Far newer is the village hall, built to replace the earlier hall bombed in 1941!
The boundary of the Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 18 May 2010.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.