Appraisal and map of the Langar Conservation Area.
The Langar Conservation Area contains 20 Listed Buildings or structures and was designated in 1990 as part of the Borough Council's proposals to create ten new Conservation Areas.
Grade II Listed 18th and early 19th century Langar Hall, with its stuccoed walls looks out across parkland to the west and down the Lime avenue southward towards Cropwell Road. Within its grounds is the splendid and stately cruciform 13th century church of St Andrew - sometimes referred to as "The Cathedral of the Vale". Within the churchyard are three groups of Listed headstones and one tomb, marking 38 graves in total and dating from 1713 to 1816.
Other notable Grade II Listed Buildings are the school and school-house, dated 1842, the Unicorn’s Head public house of 1717 and just outside is a K6, cast-iron telephone kiosk, dating from 1935. Langar House, set in grounds behind high walls and ornamental iron gates is Grade II* (two star) and was the former Rectory of the Reverend Thomas Butler and birthplace of novelist Samuel Butler, author of 'Erewhon' and 'The Way of All Flesh'.
The boundary of the Langar Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on the 19th May 2009.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.