You are here :


Information and a map of Flintham Conservation Area.

Main Street, Flintham, with a Grade II Listed type K6 cast iron telephone kiosk, dated 1935, on the right.This is the largest of Rushcliffe's 27 Conservation Areas at 144.2 hectares, and it also contains the most Listed Buildings and structures - a total of 38. The boundary of the Flintham Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on the 9 December 2008.

While the village form itself is very compact, the site as a whole includes the magnificent and extensive parkland of Flintham Hall (late eighteenth century) to the south and west, presenting fine views from the Fosse Way.

A very well kept village of 730 people, it was designated a Conservation Area in 1972 and enjoys a rare consistency of materials and design of buildings. The use of stone on the lower halves of the mainly red brick and pantile buildings is a typical detail of south Nottinghamshire.

Its narrow streets are almost continuously defined by either buildings or walls, creating an enclosed feeling and a sequence of views as one progresses through the village. The 'dog-leg' bend on Main Street and the curve in Inholms Road are examples of its distinctive village approaches.

For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.