Appraisal and map of Bunny Conservation Area.
This sizeable Conservation Area was designated in 1976 and includes an impressive 23 Listed Buildings or structures. Almost all of the village of 635 inhabitants is included within its boundary.
The old part of Bunny is a small compact settlement centred on its large 14th and 15th century church of St Mary and contains many important architectural and historic features, in particular those in connection with the Parkyns family. Sir Thomas Parkyns (1662-1741) designed and built many houses and barns both here and in surrounding villages (such as Bradmore) during the early 1700's.
Bunny Hall - once known as Crazy Hall - was rebuilt to his own designs in 1720 and is a wonderful example of his eccentric architectural style. The more traditional, red brick buildings he was responsible for include The Old Vicarage, Ivy Cottage, the Rancliffe Arms public house, the Post Office and the former Schoolhouse on Loughborough Road. He also supervised a major restoration of the parish church in 1718.
The boundary of the Bunny Conservation Area was reviewed and formally extended on 19 May 2009. The appraisal was revised on 7 December 2011.
For further advice, contact Design and Conservation.